Saturday, December 5, 2009

Faisal Qureshi

Interview by Behjat Tahir

Faisal Qureshi is a TV producer, director,
and actor, best known for his comedy series “Ulta Seedha” - a collection of
satire and parodies on a wide range of current topics.

Faisal’s on-screen talent is only rivaled by
his behind the scenes imagination, which he is using to bring TV audiences many
enjoyable and memorable programs. He is a graduate of the National College of
Arts, and is fully applying his creative education to many different avenues,
including designing.

In an exclusive Rendezvous with The Saturday
Post’s correspondent, Behjat Tahir, Faisal shows us what it is like to take life
seriously and lightly, all at the same time.


Let’s see if you can tell where he’s joking
and where he’s being dead serious…enjoy the interview!


1. Let’s start with getting to know you – tell
us a bit about where you grew up and your family…


My parents accidentally left me in the Amazon Jungle on a safari trip
whereafter I was brought up by mama bear and baba bear. I found my way to
civilization (or lack thereof) somewhere in the late 17th century…the animal
instincts still haven’t left me! Well, on a serious note (if you really want to
know), I was born in Hyderabad, attended public school, am the youngest of six
siblings, and therefore the most spoilt and pampered in the family!


2. How did you get into acting?


ACCIDENTALLY!!!! It was a bad stormy night, very dark and chilly with not a
person or animal in sight. I was walking merrily down to the karyana store when
suddenly this huge truck hit me out of nowhere. When I came to, I was in a
permanent state of amnesia. That fatal accident changed my life forever and the
audience’s too! National College of Arts was my first step towards acting though
personally I never wanted to act. Started out as a writer and concept-maker and
still enjoy being behind the scenes more!


3. What factors have played an important role in
making you a star?


Nothing much - couple of fractures, one broken leg and a bump to the head.
Waisay, thanks for calling ME a STAR…sounds cool (laughs).


4. How has being married changed you as an actor
and as a person?


Tremendously! My dramatic (acting) skills have improved with each passing day
after getting married.


5. What are your inspirations? What motivates
you as an actor, writer, director, and all the different roles you play?


Food is my biggest motivation and, you can say, inspiration too! When we
don’t have food to eat at home, it makes me act and work really hard. As a
writer, I like touching upon serious issues but with satire; as an actor my
motivation begins when no one else shows up at the last second for my shoots and
I jump in as a last resort to fill up the slot!





6. What are some of the good and bad experiences
you’d like to share with our readers?


I guess going to NCA was a great experience…I made good friends for life. And
the bad experience is that I got married to one!


7. Acting , writing , producing, designing….out
of all these which one do you prefer more and why?


Cooking…because the end result is worth it and more fulfilling!


8. What do you think of Pakistani media in
general ?


No idea! My commitments with Hollywood leave no time for me to look at our
own media…but I’ve heard that Pakistani media is growing very fast which I think
is good (for the media not for the audience!) It still has a long way to go and
if I’m around longer then maybe there’s hope for it to reach Hollywood
standards!


9. How do you compare Pakistani talent with
other countries?


Aaahhh, Pakistani talent…you find the best and most efficient thugs and
muggers here…none can beat their talent all over the world! Oh, you mean the
likes of Meera and all? What can I say! Such talent is hard to find even in our
own country let alone the rest of the world!!! “No one can beat just one” like
the famous ad jingle goes…


10. What do you think about Pakistani talent
going to India?


All I know is that India is a nice place to visit and my friends tell me that
partying away from home has its own charms…if you know what I mean! Crossing the
borders is now much cheaper thanks to our Khan Coaches and Bus Service, which is
way easier on the pockets of our poor actors and singers!





11. If you were not in media, what profession
would you have chosen?


Ummmm…if not an actor I would have been a politician then because there I
could have used my acting skills properly!


12. Tell us about your future projects. What are
you planning to contribute to the Pakistani media next?


Two minor projects are in the making. They will Insha Allah become major
projects. Whether these projects will enter media, I don’t know. They are my
twin daughters! Rather minor projects, 4 pounds each, but soon they will be big.
That is my contribution, not to the media of Pakistan, but to the population of
Pakistan.


No comments:

Post a Comment