Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bindiya

Catchingup: Back to Bindiya
by Uzma Mazhar
She
pursued her dream in television and films despite her conservative family that
had a hostile attitude towards her showbiz aspirations from day one. Bindya, the
bold and beautiful artiste ruled the roost throughout the 1980s and well into
the ’90s. Today, she is back in Pakistan with a bang after a long hiatus of some
14 years.


She left showbiz at the height of her career, disappearing mysteriously and
not being initially missed. But as time wore on, questions were raised of her
whereabouts and as all things come to pass, her memory too got lost in the
annals of time. “As they say ‘I have been to London to see the queen and
frightened a little mouse under the chair’! I had gone for a music show to the
US, and since my son Jahanzeb was already studying there, I felt that he needed
me so I stayed on. It doesn’t seem like 14 years have passed, rather it seems
like I had been there just for just 14 days. Now I am back in Pakistan and ready
for action,” said Bindiya when approached by Images on Sunday.

Q. So what made you make a comeback?


A. To tell you the truth, I had erased that part of my life from memory and
broken off all contacts with the showbiz folk simply because I felt if I stayed
in touch I would miss the limelight, my fans and the adulation. I was busy
taking care of my son and working for US immigration as a translator in four
languages — Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi and English. Then my son convinced me to
pursue my real passion and sent me packing back to Pakistan. Eights months
before coming here I decided to check out the media scene in Pakistan. I
randomly called up TV stations as I wanted to make a comeback through PTV. The
Lahore station got me in touch with Tariq Mairaj who came highly recommended. I
called him up and he offered me his serial Sitarey and the role of a lifetime.
Before saying yes, I requested him to send me the script. While going through
the script I suddenly realised that I was going to Pakistan to do the play.


What is your role in Sitarey?


Sitarey is a 13-episode serial which will run on PTV towards the end of
October. Mine is the lead role of an authoritative woman who runs a business
empire. There are shades of grey in my character. The role is so good that I
promise all my pervious work in TV, films and theatre will surpass it. The rest
obviously lies with the viewers and the media feedback.


During your recent interview in the Nadia Khan
Show some felt that the questions about your personal life put forth by the host
were in somewhat bad taste. What do you think?


People have the right to say whatever they deem right, but I think Nadia has
her own style and it takes a lot of guts and confidence to host a live show.
Before the show, I had told her to go ahead and ask anything she wanted to.
People assume that she is arrogant but I would say she is bold enough to ask
personal or controversial questions, and I am bold enough to answer them.


My first husband was a pilot and no, he was not from Iran but from Jordan.
For a while we stayed in touch through a common acquaintance then we simply lost
touch. I kept getting news about him. One day I heard that he was killed in a
plane crash and I bid goodbye to his memory. Suddenly, after 16 years I started
getting letters from him and then one day he arrived at my doorstep with his new
wife and kids whereas I had waited for him and never remarried. Seeing him with
his new family left me totally speechless.


Then in the US, my son got me married to someone as he felt that that person
would make me happy. But we parted ways after one-and-half years. If we cannot
get along with each other doesn’t mean that we are bad people. He did not like
me taking care of my son even though he has a daughter from his first marriage.
It is not that we do not respect each other. As of now who knows, I may get
married again if I find Mr Right.


Are you surprised that people still remember you
after so many years?


I always thought ‘out of sight, out of mind’ as I left the field on my own
terms and came back on my own. By God’s grace, I consider myself very lucky. I
can see that people still love me. I guess as an actor I did do some good work.

Is Bindiya the person really that controversial,
bold and bindaas and does this image effect her as a person?


I am honest, open-minded and I do not pigeon hole myself in my gender. I see
myself as a person who is a multi-tasker and has many facets to her personality.
Yes, I am bold but not in the way that I don’t care what people say. I don’t
know when the image of being bindaas stuck to me.


My family was very conservative but my parents were open-minded to a certain
extent. But not enough to allow me to be in showbiz. I was alone and rumours
constantly kept popping up… it was very painful. Whatever I am today is because
of my mother who supported me and my hard work. I have lived my life as a caring
mother. I don’t care about gossip anymore. It’s like running water that just
keeps on flowing.


After so many years what has changed in media in
Pakistan?


I see an obvious change in the scenario but the fact is that I was called to
work, I just did not land up like that. I am thankful to the whole team of
Sitarey as it was a pleasure working with them. As for changes, there is no
rehearsal or footwork. I call the productions of today bhagum daur productions
as they are quick and fast. I have tried to gel in and just go with the flow.





What does the future hold for the long-missed
and talented Bindiya?


I am waiting to see the feedback once the serial goes on air. Also after a
good role, I am looking for more good stuff to come my way. As of now, I would
love to work in television or films, even if the industry has gone to the dogs
and there is one film made in 10 years. I also want to do my own productions and
direct, but that will take time. I am on the road to launching myself again, but
working as an actor for the time being. I am here to stay as long as people give
me work and their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment